Thursday 19 May 2011

Ode to an Old Friend


(i)

Hello, Melancholy – my old comrade!
Where are you, I wonder…?
My mind has been your favourite promenade
Wherein you loved to enter and meander.
‘Out of sight, out of mind’ -
Seems to be the order of the day;
You however, were an extraordinary kind
Who compelled me to obey.
You clung to me like Velcro
And blended yourself into me;
The more I tried to let go,
The more you lacerated me.
Oblivion, I knew would not come so easily,
For, your roots were too deep
Which clung to me steadfastly.
So I decided to give in and silently weep. 
I bowed before your magnanimity,
For, you enveloped me in those wide arms, and made me numb.
I marvel at your tenacity,
For, despite my resistance, you never gave up, and made me succumb.


(ii)

Now you’ve left me alone and are gone,
I weep no more, but am still forlorn.
I fail to comprehend this mannerism
Wish I could purge myself of this masochism.
But although you’ve moved on to greener pastures
I miss your ‘noble’ gestures!
I miss the darkness into which you’d draw me
For, light now blinds me!
I have become an island in a sea
A complete misfit, the joke seems to be on me!
I fail to appreciate mirth
‘Cause I have forgotten its worth.
They call it relativity
But what is this to me, but insanity?
I now need you to remind me
The true value of joy, of what it should mean to me… 


----------------------

'It is such a secret place, the land of tears.' - Antoine de Saint



No comments:

Post a Comment